Love. Learn. Lead.
We strive to love God and others, learn and grow in our faith, and lead people to christ.
The First Baptist Church of Toccoa was organized in 1872 by Dr. W.C. Wilkes. The first meeting house was on West Franklin Street. The church was received into the Tugalo Baptist Association on September 17, 1875.
About 1884 the small membership of less than forty purchased a lot on West Doyle Street and erected a one room frame church building. In the same year the church was built, W.J. Hayes and E.L. Goode were ordained as deacons. This is the first mention of an ordination service. In 1891, the church had 87 members.
As early as 1898, the need for a new church building was felt. In December 1899, a financial committee was appointed to raise the money to build a new church house.
In 1905, the “church on the square” was begun. The people moved into the new church building in the Spring of 1906.
Dr. Arthur Thomas Cline was called to be pastor of First Baptist Church in March of 1927. Dr. Cline continued as church pastor for 29 years until retiring 1956.
In 1954, the Sunday morning service began broadcasting over the local radio station. The station continues to broadcast the Agoga Bible Class each Sunday morning.
In 1957, a building fund was established to build a larger church for the growing membership. The property on Tugalo Street and Prather Bridge Road was purchased to build the new church. In 1965, the new “Church on the Hill” was completed.
In 1996, the church dedicated the new pipe organ designed by Dr. James Mellichamp who was organist at the time. The music ministry at First Baptist Church is an integral part of the church. There is a graded choir program that has been in existence since 1965.
The church continues to meet the needs of the church family and the community. First Baptist Church supports both Foreign and Home Missions. In addition, the members give generously of time and money to support the residents of Stephens County.